Francis House Center is the front door to Next Move’s programs, services, and housing solutions for individuals and families seeking help and support in ending their homelessness. Located at 1422 C Street in Sacramento, Francis House Center has served the community for nearly 50 years, providing resources, support, and inspiration to help individuals and families transition their lives from crisis to stability.
Francis House offers a number of services to community members on a first-come, first-serve basis during its walk-in hours. In addition, more intensive services are available by appointment. Francis House lobby hours are 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
The full cost for California IDs through the Department of Motor Vehicles is $30. A DMV voucher can be obtained for $8 during our regular lobby hours. Applicants must have proof of income.
To qualify for a California ID voucher, applicants must currently receive public benefits and bring one of the following:
- Cal-Fresh/ EBT card
- Medi-Cal card
- Cal-Works / Notice of Action of Benefits / D.H.A. printout
- Cal-Win documentation
- SSI award letter / benefit letter / direct deposit card.
- Release paperwork from a county or state correctional facility
This program provides a one-week motel stay for parents or guardians with minor children, or with a child who is 18 and currently enrolled in high school. Women who are pregnant in the last trimester (7 months or more) may also apply. We are one of the few, if not the only, option for single fathers with children.
To apply, call (916) 443-2646 after 9 a.m. on Monday to schedule a pre-screening appointment. Pre-screening requires:
- Valid California identification for all adults
- Social security cards and birth certificates for all household members, including adults
- Proof of income for current month (ALL sources)
- Proof of custody of all minor children (school verification, DHA printout that includes all members on the case, social security numbers, dates of birth, benefit amounts for Calfresh and CalWorks)
- No late arrivals
Obtain new glasses through the New Eyes for the Needy eyeglass program. Francis House Center staff will assist with the application process. To qualify:
- Applicants must have proof of financial need (proof of income or government assistance for agency verification)
- Have a valid prescription
- Have no other way to pay for glasses (including insurance, federal/state programs, other charitable support)
- Have not received a New Eyes voucher within the past 24 months
One-on-one meeting with a resource coach is available for clients seeking to set goals and identify detailed resources for getting assistance and planning their next life steps.
Soap, shampoo, toothbrushes, lotion, razors, feminine hygiene, etc. are available to our clients twice each month. We are always in need of donations of these items.
Francis House hosts other agency partners on Thursdays in order to better serve clients.
Veterans’ Advocate 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
The Veterans’ Advocate assists U.S. military service veterans with health care benefits, housing resources and programs, substance abuse treatment, employment and assessment, and other resources.
Notary Services 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
By appointment only.
Job Development Center
The job development center is equipped with computers, printers, resources, and referrals for individuals seeking employment. Clients are greeted and supported by a trained staff member and a host of volunteers to assist with their job search and the development of resumes and cover letters. To use the JDC you must have a bill or other document with your name on it and attend an orientation on your first visit.
1422 C Street
(916) 443 – 2646